August 15, 2002 MEETING MINUTES

 

The regular membership of the Idaho State B.A.S.S. Federation was called to order by President Dusty Womack at 7:30 P.M. at the Tri State Marine.There were 10 officers, representatives and guests present.

 

The minutes of July 2002 were approved as written.

 

TREASURY REPORT: The Treasurer reported a balance of $10391.53 of which $2811.44 is Conservation; $905.52 in the South Operating fund, $230.64 Youth; $4672.43 South State Team and $1771.50 in General Fund. Treasury report was approved.

 

INTRODUCTIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS: Guests introduced were:

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

 

YOUTH: Youth Director LARRY RAGANIT reported:

®        Scyler brought a video of the Eastís C.A.S.T. event that was shown on the news in the Burley area.

®        South C.A.S.T. event is August 24. We are expecting 30 Ė 35 kids this year.We still need a pontoon boat for the kids in wheelchairs. Larry needs any extra hooks, sinkers, bobbers, crappie jigs, etc. that you might have lying around.

®        The Job Corp canít do the picnic lunch for C.A.S.T. this year.Tellco Credit Union is getting the Armadillo to cater the event.IBM donated $200 for this.

®        Larry asked that anyone with a digital camera bring it and take pictures for the newsletter and website.

®        Garden City Day will be Sept. 14; the event will run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.Larry will set up the night before, but needs volunteers to help run the casting pond.

®        The Kerchall Jr. Classic program is trying to get started.It lacks organization and needs to get national rules set up before it gets rolling.

 

CONSERVATION: Conservation Officer STEVE BURK was not present and did not report

®        Larry Raganit reported that Terry Schrader of ODFW is considering requiring anyone with a permit to transport fish from the weigh-in site back to the water have an oxygen meter to monitor the fish while being held and transported.This is not set in stone yet, but it is a good idea.A motion was made and passed to spend up to $250 for a meter; Steve Day to work on this.

®        We are looking at trying to get a salvage permit to recover fish from the canal below the Caldwell Dam when they shut off the irrigation water this fall.

 

TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR: Tournament director Dusty Womack reported:

®        Next East Qualifier is Aug. 17 on C.J. Strike; North is Aug. 17 on Pend Oreille River, South is Sept. 14 on Brownlee.

®        The last South Region Qualifier at Lake Lowell had low turnout.

 

COMMUNICATION: Communication Officer J.C. WORTHEN reported:

®        We havenít received any advertising money yet.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

NEW BUSINESS:

®        BBB had a report of a red bass boat being operated recklessly and inconsiderately.We donít have any boat numbers or other information to go on, but everyone needs to remind their club members that we need to be on our best behavior when operating boats.This goes whether we are in a tournament or not.

®        Dustyís Classic report:

o       Dusty had lunch with the head of the National Fish & Wildlife service.He mentioned our issues with Lake Lowell.Deer Flat is run out of the Northwest office in Portland and we need to bring it up with them.The Oregon Federation has asked us to attend their Federation Banquet to talk to the Northwest Director for Fish & wildlife.

o       B.A.S.S./ESPN is looking at starting a new Western circuit for Federation anglers. Every state will have one tournament to qualify 5 anglers to go to the Regional Qualifier tournament. Entry fee will be $300 per person for the state tournament, but all entries would be paid above that level.State tournaments would be required to have at least 25 boats/50 anglers. If we donít think we can get the minimum number of anglers, we can team up with other states.The Federation would get $3000 to run their state tournament. The National tournament would rotate between the five regions.The qualifying anglers out of the National tournament would go to the Classic. This circuit would be in addition to rather than replace the current Qualifier circuit.

o       Disney has taken over our tournament insurance. Any non-B.A.S.S. members competing in open tournaments are not covered by this insurance from Disney.B.A.S.S. has said that they will pick up this coverage, although they would not put it in writing. At the very least, we cannot allow non-members to compete as members in club tournaments on a regular basis because it could void our insurance.

o       B.A.S.S./ESPN is looking at starting a membership drive.They are talking about a $6.00 rebate of the $10.00 B.A.S.S. dues back to the club/Federation that recruited the new member.

®        Discussion on revising the State Team Code of Conduct.A revised Code of Conduct was introduced and discussed.It will go back to the clubs for review before being finalized at the next Federation meeting.The finalized version will go out to the clubs to be voted on in October or November.

®        Discussion on revising Idaho Qualifier Tournament rules.A revised set of tournament rules was introduced and discussed.It will go back to the clubs for review before being finalized at the next Federation meeting.The finalized version will go out to the clubs to be voted on in October or November.

®        Another discussion developed concerning standardizing the Qualifier entry fees statewide and possibly going back to having all of the State Team money held together at the Federation level.Handling of the money has been difficult this year.State Team deposit money came in and then was refunded to all three regions, money for the State Team clothing was collected from each region, and the money for the State Team member going to the Nationals had to be collected from each region.It would be simpler to hold all of the money in one spot, make necessary adjustments, and pay it out to the whole State Team.This proposal will be written up and presented at the next Federation meeting.

 

There being no more new business, President Womack reminded all that the next meeting would be on Sept. 19.The meeting adjourned at 10:10 p.m.

 

____________________________________

Secretary

Back to Federation Meetings